+1 to what Phoebe said! This is a really exciting initiative. I'm also
curious about if you're planning to sync edits back to the relevant
projects.

I'd love to connect with you sometime. We're still working on research for
the New Readers [1] project and also finding that offline (and limited
internet) access is a big barrier for people using our projects.

I'll reach out offlist to find a time to connect.

Anne

1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 9:50 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Florence!
>
> This is a very cool and ambitious project! Is the idea that offline
> contributions would be loaded into the relevant projects when internet is
> available?
>
> Phoebe
> On Jun 13, 2016 5:59 PM, "Florence Devouard" <fdevou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone
> >
> > WikiAfrica has recently started a new project, the Wikipack Africa.
> >
> > The project amalgamates:
> >
> > * the coding of a software, WikiFundi, that provides an off-line editing
> > environment that mimics the Wikipedia environment. The software will be
> > made available in French and English.
> >
> > * the creation of action packs for use by local Wikimedia chapters, user
> > groups or isolated individuals in Africa, and
> >
> > * a Wikipedia Writing Contest to be run in African Schools,
> #WikiChallenge
> > African Schools
> >

> > It will roll out in two phases :
> >
> > Phase 1 involves the creation of the WikiPack Africa. WikiPack Africa is
> > digital kit located via a local network device (Raspberry PI). The local
> > network device will provide access to an off-line editing platform that
> > mimics Wikipedia, and provides related materials and additional OER
> > resources. The WikiPack Africa will both facilitate the outreach work of
> > Wikimedia chapters, User Group and individuals, and encourage the growth
> of
> > digital skills and content contribution by teachers and students across
> > Africa. The pack allows for ongoing training and contribution even when
> > technology, access and electricity outages fail or are not available at
> all.
> >
> > The WikiPack Africa delivered to users will comprise two Raspberry PIs
> and
> > some offline materials (posters, leaflets, pull-up banner, tee-shirts,
> > etc.). The WikiPack will be delivered to several Wikimedia User Groups
> > located in Africa end of 2016. A Call for Interest will be made to
> identify
> > which groups will receive the Packs (8 countries will be covered as part
> of
> > the pilot launch).
> >

> > The project has been conceptualised and conceived by Isla and myself
> after
> > seeing how frustrating limited access to internet or even to electricity
> > could be when trying to participate to Wikipedia.
> >
> > The WikiPack Africa is primarily meant for individuals and groups wanting
> > to implement outreach projects and:
> > * work with galleries, libraries, archives and museums to bring cultural
> > content online;
> > * work with education partners to get educators and students contribute
> or
> > better understand Wikimedia projects;
> > * more generally, organise edit-a-thons, photo hunts, workshops, press
> > conferences, etc. to promote Wikimedia projects.

> [...]

*Anne Gomez* // Reading Product Manager, New Readers
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers>
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate
<http://donate.wikimedia.org>. *