Looks like a good choice.

Good luck, Katherine

Cheers,

Peter

From: WikimediaAnnounce-l
[mailto:wikimediaannounce-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Patricio
Lorente
Sent: Friday, 24 June 2016 11:16 AM
To: wikimediaannounc...@lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Dear all,

It is our great pleasure to share that during the Board meeting at Wikimania
2016 in Esino Lario, we unanimously voted to appoint Katherine Maher as
Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. This is effective as of our
resolution dated Thursday, 23 June.

Katherine served as interim Executive Director for the past three months,
during which time she consistently and repeatedly demonstrated the kind of
leadership our organization needs. She is deeply committed to our movement’s
values, and brings expertise in civic technology and international development
that will be an asset to the Wikimedia Foundation and the movement.

We came to this conclusion after an intensive discovery process led by the ED
search committee. Our decision was also informed by direct feedback from staff
and community, and our own experience working closely with Katherine.

In March, we assembled an Executive Director search committee[1] consisting of
four Board members¹ who were chosen to represent different perspectives and
capacities.² Additionally, the Board asked the Foundation’s Chief Advancement
Officer Lisa Gruwell to represent the executive team, and Foundation staff
member Katie Horn was selected by her peers as someone who could represent
staff perspectives. The committee was charged with keeping the process on track
and on time, engaging important stakeholders, and facilitating transparency in
communications. Their first tasks were to identify a search firm, and define
the position description. You can review the committee’s updates on Meta.[2]

The committee recruited Viewcrest Advisors,³ to identify our leadership needs
and design a hiring process. Kathleen Yazbak of Viewcrest worked with the
committee to conduct interviews with every Foundation department, the
executive, the Board, and nearly 20 additional one-on-one interviews with
staff. Kathleen attended the Wikimedia Conference in Berlin, collecting
feedback from community members and affiliates. The committee launched a
community survey in June, receiving more than 1,600 responses about the
qualities needed in the next ED; they also asked for feedback on Meta.[3]
Taking all of this into account, the transition team developed a profile and
requirements for the next Executive Director that reflect our values and our
communities.

Throughout this process, the Board and the transition team received very clear
and often unsolicited feedback from both staff and community members that
Katherine embodies the values of our movement and the traits needed in our next
ED. This feedback was only reinforced by the latest Foundation engagement
survey results, which showed a strong shift toward renewed trust in leadership.
After taking this all into account, and considering what the organization needs
at this moment of transition, we moved to appoint Katherine now.

In just three months as interim ED, Katherine worked with the organization and
community to make huge strides in management, execution, and transparency. She
brought much-needed clarity to our strategic direction, and mobilized the
organization to clearly communicate that direction through this year’s annual
plan.

After her appointment, she worked with the leadership team to swiftly identify
the organization’s priorities during the transition period and execute against
them, setting ambitious but reachable targets. Under Katherine’s leadership,
the Foundation submitted its annual plan to the Funds Dissemination Committee,
leaving ample time for community feedback and discussion.

Katherine is an excellent fit for our movement. She is longtime advocate for
global open communities, culture, and technology. She was the Foundation’s
Chief Communications Officer from April 2014 until she was appointed interim ED
in March. Throughout her career she has focused on freedom of expression,
access to information, and digital rights; supporting the efforts of people
around the world to deepen participation, advance transparency, and strengthen
their communities through her work with UNICEF, National Democratic Institute
for International Affairs, and the World Bank.  If you don’t already know
Katherine, you can learn more about her on Meta.[4]

With this appointment, we feel strongly that the Foundation has the leadership
and clarity to move forward. We wish Katherine the very best in this role, and
the Board looks forward to continuing to work with her.

We would also like to thank the many community members and Foundation staff who
actively shared thoughtful, highly valuable feedback. Without that, we would
not have been able to come to this decision.

Please join us in congratulating Katherine!

Patricio Lorente, outgoing Board Chair

Christophe Henner, incoming Board Chair

1.    Alice Wiegand (Committee Chair), Dariusz Jemielniak, Guy Kawasaki, Kelly
Battles.

2.    For example, community and governance experience, appointed and
community-selected seats, and US and non-US perspectives.

3.    The committee reviewed 7 different firms and unanimously picked
Viewcrest.

  _____

[1]
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016>