On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Anders Wennersten
<m...@anderswennersten.se> wrote:
> I have been active in FDC and followed closely all applicants. It works very
> well when it comes to promote small affiliates to grow in a controlled way
> and ensuring that money is spent wisely. The FDC, though, demand an
> elaborate plan, and application, which can be (too) hard as a first step if
> you still is an volunteer driven organisation.  So  since a year the Simple
> annual plan grant now exist, and I have been part in this and its seven
> applicants that has been through that process. And it works wonderfully even
> if there has been quite complicated issues in the application. The
> application formality is much easier and the applicant gets hands-on help by
> both WMF staff and also by a peer from an existing affiliate. And the
> feedback we have received has been very very positive, specially the support
> from peers. And for you Milos who was in ChapCom at the same time as me in
> 2008, you should rejoice as much as me that now also Brazil is on track, so
> the "complicated" affiliates in 2008, Catala, Brazil an US, are now all on
> track.
>
> So we now have process in place that really help and support small groups of
> enthusiastic Wikimedians to grow in a controlled way becoming well
> functioning chapters. We have also since 2008 learnt, from experiences from
> Brazil and India, that to try by "outsiders" to get  a local organisation in
> place that will grow in a good way, just has not worked. These experiments
> just hindered (and delayed) natural good establishment.
>
> So my learning is that it is counter productive to try as an outsider to get
> something happen. We have to await until groups of clever Wikimedians in
> India with the right ambition etc are ready to enter applications to either
> of the grant programs, and then there are mechanisms in place to help them
> evolve

Anders, we've been asked for help at least twice that I know, as I can
witness for those two times. The first time I thought it will be
solved, but it hasn't been solved after two years. Plus, a couple of
previous years of getting informal complaints in relation to the WMF's
behavior in India.

The *problem* is that WMF is actually participating in keeping the
mess in perpetual state. And it's not about bad intentions, but about
incompetence. So, let's start solving *our* problem with India, not
*Indian* problem with us.

--
Milos