> 2016-07-05 21:59 GMT+02:00 Nick Wilson (Quiddity) <nwil...@wikimedia.org>:
>> I'd like to link it on Metawiki, but I'm not sure where; Any suggestions?
>> I've gotten (happily) lost in the [[Multilingual]] disambig page, and the
>> [[Grants:Learning patterns]] pages, but the only place I can find that
>> collects advice like this, is the first section at
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/Manual#Guidelines - What page
>> might I have missed?

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Birgit Müller
<birgit.muel...@wikimedia.de> wrote:

> Link it on Meta: I found
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Best_practices_in_giving_a_Wikipedia_presentation
> and
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Presentations, but both pages seem to be a
> bit outdated/not visited very often.
>

Perhaps https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Writing_clearly as well?

-Yusuke

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:05 AM, Birgit Müller
<birgit.muel...@wikimedia.de> wrote:
> Nick, thanks for sharing! This is really awesome. (Or should I write: "This
> is helpful" to fit into the German stereotype? :D)
>
> Link it on Meta: I found
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Best_practices_in_giving_a_Wikipedia_presentation
> and
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Presentations, but both pages seem to be a
> bit outdated/not visited very often.
>
> Might also make sense to link it on the general conference/Hackathon pages
> like
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons/Hackathon_tips_for_organizers#Communications
> ?
>
> cheers
> Birgit
>
>
>
>
>
> 2016-07-05 21:59 GMT+02:00 Nick Wilson (Quiddity) <nwil...@wikimedia.org>:
>
>>
>> https://medium.com/@mollyclare/taming-the-steamroller-how-to-communicate-compassionately-with-non-native-english-speakers-d95d8d1845a0
>> A good essay.
>>
>> TL;DR: Some detailed examples of how to improve communication and
>> interactions, for the benefit of anyone who uses English as a second
>> language.
>>
>>
>> Excerpts, to whet [sharpen or stimulate] your appetite:
>>
>> > Phrasal verbs in English can be particularly hard to master. Just think
>> about “cut off” vs. “cut up” vs. “cut over” vs. “cut in” vs. “cut out” vs.
>> “cut down” vs. “cut back” and you’ll see how confusing it can be when you
>> recommend “cutting back” on something, or asking someone to “cut it out”.
>> [...]
>>
>> > Make your message very clear, especially your request. This is doubly
>> true for me, because I work with Germans, who are famously direct. The
>> American habit of softening and burying a request is just confusing and
>> pointless to them.
>>
>> > The last thing you and I want to do is overwhelm. We work across language
>> barriers, not because it’s glamorous or fun or easy, but because we care
>> about collaborating with people who are different from us [...]. And
>> non-native speakers are committing to this collaboration even more than we
>> are: they’re reaching out to us by working in English. [...]
>>
>> n.b. Yes, there are some over-generalizations and stereotypes in there.
>> It's still good overall, though! ;-)
>>
>>
>> I'd like to link it on Metawiki, but I'm not sure where; Any suggestions?
>> I've gotten (happily) lost in the [[Multilingual]] disambig page, and the
>> [[Grants:Learning patterns]] pages, but the only place I can find that
>> collects advice like this, is the first section at
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/Manual#Guidelines - What page
>> might I have missed?
>>
>> Quiddity
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
>> New messages to: Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
>> <mailto:wikimedia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Birgit Müller
> Community Communications Manager
> Software Development and Engineering
>
>
>
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter
> der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
> <mailto:wikimedia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: 
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, 
<mailto:wikimedia-l-requ...@lists.wikimedia.org?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply via email to