Geoff,

I remember having the great pleasure of welcoming you to Wikimedia and
helping introduce you to the culture and challenges of a very unusual
organization, and later having the great pleasure of working with you
as you served as a keystone of its leadership.

It would be impossible to thank you enough for everything you've
done--all of the public work that has been justly recognized and
applauded, and the iceberg of invisible work that comes with the role
that will never be publicly recognized, but which deserves the
recognition just as much. (And a particular thanks for all of your
work with the board, which I know came with its own set of
challenges!) The legal department is not always greatly loved in any
organization, and frequently not one that gets to be a champion of the
mission itself, but you have made this happen at WMF. Your insight and
guidance, your legal experience, your leadership, and your dedication
to the people and the principles of the movement have all been
invaluable. And your commitment to building the organization and the
people in it means you leave the legal department in good hands;
congratulations to Michelle and Stephen on their new roles.

And finally, for me personally, you have been a great mentor and a
great friend. Best of luck in your new position; they are lucky to
have you.

-Kat