I agree that there can be a benefit to internal promotions in the sense
that less onboarding is required. On the other hand, sometimes a fresh
perspective is helpful, and at least one of the interim Cs has been
insistent that they want to return to their previous job.

Also, while people are in interim roles, their departments are down a
person unless their previous positions are somehow backfilled, perhaps with
contractors. I have already heard from one department that they are feeling
the squeeze.

Pine