> On 23 Aug 2016, at 11:48, Asaf Bartov <abar...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:01 AM, Chris Keating <chriskeatingw...@gmail.com
> <mailto:chriskeatingw...@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>>> Does the Affiliations Committee have a list of existing chapters which do
>>> not meet the proposed criteria? I think we should at least get a sense
>> for
>>> that, and those chapters should be notified and be put on the path to
>>> meeting standards or losing their status.
>>>

>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> The closest is this table for eligibility for the Wikimedia Conference:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_
>> 2016/Eligibility_Criteria
>>
>> That did not apply the same criteria as AffCom are using, but you can see
>> that there were 2 chapters which appeared to be entirely inactive, and a
>> further 3 that had some kind of activity but were not reporting activity in
>> the terms required by their chapter agreements or grants.
>>
>> In general, I think that it is sensible to have a method of inactive
>> chapters to be de-recognised - just as it is also useful for User Groups
>> working towards chapter status to know what they are meant to be working
>> towards.
>>

> As of this year, a process does exist, and is reflected here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Protocol_for_noncompliant_Wikimedia_movement_affiliates
>
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Protocol_for_noncompliant_Wikimedia_movement_affiliates>

This process seems to be very harsh as written. For example, it says:
        "an organization’s recognition may be terminated immediately according
to the group's agreement (without Board review or appeal)"
There's no mention of any sort of ombudsperson, or appeal process in this
document. Presumably this is delegated to the individual group agreements, but
it would be good to see that explicitly mentioned in this process document.
There are other examples elsewhere in the process that I won't go into here.
But I think this process needs rewriting to make it fairer to all parties.

> This process is being followed, right now, to review the status of inactive
> and non-compliant chapters, at long last.

That's good news.

Thanks,
Mike