Thank you to those of you who have volunteered in this role.  I have a lot
of faith in all of you to improve on the groundwork that was done in the
recent past, and am particularly glad that you should have sufficient time
to consider and test different voting systems - something that the last two
"temporary" election committees did not really have an opportunity to do.
I am certain you have all been reviewing the "post mortems" of the last few
elections to see what was considered in need of improvement.

It's been six weeks since the appointment of the committee, and I am
curious to know who has been selected as the chair, and whether or not the
committee has introduced any other members or selected any advisors.

I am also curious whether the committee members (and by extension the WMF
staff and Board liaisons) have undertaken to not run in the next election.
Given that the Committee is tasked with reviewing and potentially modifying
the rules under which future elections will be held, such a public
confirmation would prevent the perception of conflict of interest.

While I appreciate that many Wikimedians reduce their activity during the
July-August period (myself included, for family reasons this year), I'd
like to encourage the Election Committee to seriously consider starting an
examination of the voting system in the near future, including some public
discussions, and arrangements with the appropriate developers to write out
the programs and test voting systems that the committee considers to have
potential.  I think this is the task that will take the most time because
it will need to be incorporated into the workload of already-busy
staff/developers, and will also require discussion both with the broader
community and within the committee itself.

I wish you all the very best - you have an opportunity to have a
significant impact in the governance of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Risker/Anne