Yes to this: "the key issue is for us to build room for
people to  emerge but also to feel entitled to run for those position"

I would say this is a key issue at the very bottom as well, for example
just getting people to become a contributor to any one of our many
projects, whether it's Wikipedia, Commons, or anything else.