Hi Gerard,

I think that readership has an interdependent relationship with the quality
and quantity of our products and services, along with marketing and word of
mouth. The quality and quantity of our products and services, along with
marketing and word of mouth, are all issues that can be addressed on the
producer side (including affiliates and grantees ) as well as the reader
side. I would agree that design for both readers and editors is important.
Improving internal search (including cross-wiki and multimedia search) and
other tools that are used by both producers and consumers is nice when that
can be arranged.

Hi BrillLyle,

At present I'm uncomfortable with the centralized nature of WMF which seems
to work in ways that are opposed to open source philosophy and culture.
Among other disadvantages, there is a concentration of risk to the entire
Wikimedia movement in the WMF. I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on
ways to reduce that risk. My thought is that decentralizing a number of the
functions that are currently concentrated in WMF might make sense, along
with having some mechanisms for the remainder of the movement to detach
from WMF should the remainder of the movement think that is a good idea.
Let us hope that we never arrive at that day, but the community and WMF
have had multiple confrontations in the past, and I think it's important
that the community and affiliates have the option to detach WMF while
continuing the Wikimedia mission.

Greater openness from WMF would likely increase cooperation between WMF,
the community, and affiliates, and decrease the likelihood of
confrontation. By "greater openness" I don't mean "talk about trust" but
take concrete steps like making all of WMF expenditures public, having live
broadcasts of most WMF Board and Board committee meetings, and publicizing
the reasons for WMF global bans.

I agree that some volunteers are overworked and would be interested in
hearing ideas about how to address that while decentralizing functions from
WMF. One option might be for WMF to become more willing to support paid
affiliate staff to do functions that historically have been done at least
partly by volunteers, such as responding to questions from newbies and
organizing programs with GLAM+STEM institutions and educators.

I like the idea of a central helpdesk. We already have OTRS, but an on-wiki
central helpdesk that's like the Teahouse, multilingual, and mostly
supported by paid staff might be very helpful. I'm not sure how that would
fit with the rest of the strategy. Perhaps a strategy would be "Increase
paid affiliate support for volunteers?" I'd be interested to hear what you
think.

Pine