Hi,

This ban was set yesterday to reduce the impact of a large-scale spam
campaign against multiple Wikimedia IRC channels, and not something that
was taken lightly. We've been dealing with an ongoing problem with a user
who is able to switch IPs rapidly and flood channels for hours on end,
sometimes going unchecked until a GC is available to handle it or ops
decide to play whack-a-mole in multiple channels.

The ban was removed earlier this morning. I've also reached out to Maarten
and explained the situation and got their feedback on how we could improve
the system going forward.

Regards,
Alex Z.