Followup on this: Arbital is still going (recent changes shows
consistent activity, mostly from MIRI people) and now has the tag line
"Arbital is the place for crowdsourced, intuitive math explanations."
This is an area it might actually get somewhere with - en:wp's
mathematics articles are notoriously opaque and not good for
explaining a concept to people who don't already understand it. And
CC-by-sa educational articles on math are a win for everyone.