Ellie, thanks for the response. Could the criteria you mention be
published on-wiki? Holding an open and transparent process for
selecting host locations for Wikimania should be a requirement on the
selection committee, so there ought to be nothing stopping this from
happening. If the applied criteria has already been published I would
appreciate a link.

It's nice that the security of the LGBT+ community is one of the
criteria, however it would be better if host locations were guaranteed
to be chosen where the LGBT+ community would be openly welcome, rather
than tolerated or not subject to arrest.

Thanks,
Fae