+1 to what Lodewijk, Anders, and James wrote.

I see benefits in onboarding around Wikimania, and having a system in which
each year we add three people (one year from the community, one from
chapters, one from experts).

However, I don't see it as an argument to extend the terms for current
trustees for a transition period.

There should be some limit (6 years now), and also reappointments in the
case of experts should be based both on the organizational needs, the level
of expertise offered, and the energy and value added - just as Anders
mentioned, these are not always given and stable.

You wrote that " in case this extension is too much to ask from the current
trustees, I'd rather leave the seats vacant."

I personally would rather fill the currently empty expert seat in January,
at the same time that the remaining  two seats are open for
(re/)appointment and set their term till Wikimania 2018.l, so that it
clicks perfectly with the desires calendar.

1.5 year is a short but manageable term, that for new people will also
offer us some ability to check them out, and for veterans will not as much
strain as a full term.

Yes, we will have a lot of onboarding  (twice in a year in 2017), but it is
still better than potentially onboarding 6 entirely new people at the same
time; part of continuity is avoiding total revamping (if terms were
extended by half a year), and better than extending by a really long period
of 1.5 years.

Best

Dj "pundit"