Hoi,
Not going to North Corolina is absolutely fine with me. We do not gain
anything by going there arguably not to any state in the United States.
What Wikimania is, is a platform for propaganda for what we have, what we
do, who we are and how we do what we do. In many countries Wikipedia is not
the house hold name it is in the USA.

Wikimania is not aimed for the English Wikipedia, it is aimed to further
our movement. Not going to places is similar to saying that those other
people, speaking other languages, with an other culture do not matter. They
do.

We should go to Russia, India, South Africa, China. The people of those
countries should matter to us, the people we could share the sum of all
knowledge with.

THAT is what we do, sharing the sum of all knowledge.

When the choice of the venue is only about being safe, we should not go to
the USA (I do not feel safe there), we should go to Germany, to Switzerland
and move the office as well. It is not likely to happen, not what I want
either.

If there is one thing about LBGT, it is that that struggle is still being
fought. Hiding and keeping away does not work. It does not help the LBGT
community. More importantly in this context it does not help the Wikimedia
community. For the latter it is vital to make our message heard.We aim to
share the sum of all knowledge and many people have not even heard of us.
Thank,
      GerardM

On 18 October 2016 at 16:00, Pax Ahimsa Gethen <list-wikime...@funcrunch.org