Task https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T150605

I have raised the above task for the WMF to publish an appropriate
summary of the behind the scenes analysis of the recent hack of
accounts and the claimed copying of the English Wikipedia database
(presumably user account tables). The request summary is pasted below
for those that don't want to read the detail, though I recommend that
technically minded volunteers subscribe to it on Phabricator --

"This is a request for a report of the analysis of the OurMine hack to
be published. It is understood that a non-public investigation is
necessary, but it also makes sense to be transparent about events and
as quickly as possible. This will provide an 'official' public
assurance of the steps being taken by the WMF to make the systems more
secure. Volunteers have rapidly responded by promoting two-factor
authentication, as well as working collegiately on guidance for
volunteers. A report of the behind the scenes analysis would aid these
efforts and ensure that if wider changes of passwords or the roll-out
of 2FA to non-sysop accounts makes sense, that these can be discussed
within the community in a positive way. It is likely that volunteer
discussions will continue and this will be reported in the Signpost
next week, so timing a report in the next few days would be helpful in
ensuring factual reporting."

Thanks,
Fae