On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 11:37 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <dar...@alk.edu.pl> wrote:
> Until we have better tech available, I want to assure you that I want to be
> available, and apart from Meta, I gladly offer IRC or video conversations,
> or other media, to whoever feels it may be useful (let's track this
> committment of mine in the old-fashioned way for now).

Rather than IRC or video, which both have significant problems for
this type of open engagement, perhaps WMF could install a modern group
chat system, like Zulip, or another Slack-like tool.

The enthusiasm for Discourse hasnt resulted in any significant adoption.
I venture to suggest that this is because it isnt mobile friendly, and
doesnt integrate with MediaWiki authentication.
Their app is little more than a web-browser (and the WMF labs instance
doesnt support the necessary API anyway.)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124691
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T150733

I've created a task about this problem for GCI and Outreachy which are
about to start:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T150732

I see Slack is being used by Portuguese Wikipedia

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Slack

It would be good to hear their opinion on this tool?

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dariuz, I like how you're thinking. Perhaps the Board could make public
> use of Phabricator to triage and track issues.

+1

--
John Vandenberg