hi Rogol,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Rogol Domedonfors <domedonf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I quite understand that some members of the Board feel that there are more
> important calls on their collective time and resources than engaging
> directly with individual members of the community, even though some do feel
> that they may be able to as individuals.  I note that you feel that it is
> possible that returning to this issue next year the Board may be able to
> make some improvements (and, we presume, may not).  So you propose to park
> the issue and maybe do something in the future, but without any sort of
> urgency or commitment.

I think there may be a bit of good will misunderstanding. I strongly
believe that the Board members should engage directly with individual
members of the community. I have only acknowledged the fact that our
current technologies are highly imperfect for that.

> I think this is completely mistaken.  The community has far more resources,
> far better ideas, and far more experience than the Board on its own can
> possibly hope to have – if only the Board were willing and able to tap into
> it.  Constructive engagement would not only pay for itself purely in terms
> of avoiding the conflicts which have drained everyone's time and energy in
> the past, but also enable the Board to take a more far-sighted and positive
> attitude to the future direction of the mission.

This is absolutely a very good point. I definitely believe that the
community has the skills, experience, and ability to help (or heavy-lift on
its own) a number of tech solutions. However, if better communication tools
are not developed from within the community, we still should make them,
that's the point.

> The Board's failure to engage effectively with the community until now, and
> lack of interest in doing so in the future, is putting the mission at
> risk.  What a shame.

Again, I have not expressed such a lack of interest, and I don't think
other members did.

best,

dariusz