On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Andrew Lih <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Love it or hate it, Facebook as a way of linking together Wikimedians
> across languages is a big plus (eg. projects like #100wikidays).

Ooh, man, you're pushing my hot button topics!  I proposed
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T149666 for the dev summit; my "big
picture" vision here is that we start using our machine translation tools
to tie our projects more tightly together, so we feel more like "one
project aided by a bunch of babel fish" and less like "a thousand separate
projects, each in their own tower".

So, bringing it back to chat -- and perhaps Shadow Namespaces (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T149666) -- one goal might be to build
discussions into our platform in a way which can be cross-platform, with
integrated machine translation aids to allow near-seamless multilingual
conversations, thereby bridging barriers between our communities.  Of
course the vandalism and anti-harassment and user filter tools would need
to be multilingual in the same way...
  --scott

--
(http://cscott.net)