Dear Wikimedians,

The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) meets twice a year to make
recommendations about how to effectively allocate movement funds to achieve
the Wikimedia movement's mission, vision, and strategy.  This is now the
9th round of allocations made by the FDC, and we met in person from
November 13-17 in San Francisco to deliberate on 11 proposals submitted
this round. We would like to thank all of the participating organizations
for the hard work they put into this round’s proposals.

Our recommendations for Round 1 2016-2017 on the annual plan grants to the
Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees have now been posted on Meta.[1] The
Board will review our deliberations and make a decision by January 1, 2017.

We received grant requests for approximately USD 3,467,000 this round
(including two requests for two-year funding). Before we met, committee
members reviewed all of the proposals and documents submitted.  We were
assisted in this review with input from the FDC staff assessments which
included analysis on impact, finances, and programs, as well as community
comments on the proposals.

As you may know, there is a formal process to submit complaints or appeals
about these recommendations. Here are the steps for both:

Any organization that would like to submit an appeal on the FDC’s Round 1
recommendation should submit it to the Board representatives to the FDC by
23:59 UTC on 8 December 2016 in accord with the appeal process outlined in
the FDC Framework [2]. A formal appeal to challenge the FDC’s
recommendation should be in the form of a 500-or-fewer word summary
directed to the two non-voting WMF Board representatives to the FDC,
Dariusz Jemielniak and Guy Kawasaki. The appeal should be submitted
on-wiki, and must be submitted by the Board Chair of a funding-seeking
applicant. The Wikimedia Foundation Board will publish its decision on this
and all recommendations by January 1, 2017.

Anyone can file a complaint about the FDC process [3] with the Ombudsperson
at any time. The complaint should be submitted on wiki, as well. The
Ombudsperson will publicly document the complaint, and investigate as
needed.

On behalf of the FDC,

Anne Clin / Risker

FDC Chair