On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimania '17 conference
organizers, we are now seeking volunteers to serve on the  Scholarship
Review Committee for Wikimania 2017
<https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania>.  Wikimania
scholarships are a special type of Travel and Participation Support
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Grants:TPS>
offering, administered by the WMF  in partnership with the Wikimania
host team, with the purpose of bringing active Wikimedians from around
the world to attend Wikimania.  The scholarship review committee is an
important and diverse group of volunteers  who help promote the
program and review/select applicants.   We encourage people from all
Wikimedia wikis to apply, so that the committee can handle
applications in many different languages.

The main duties of the committee members are:

* Assist
​ the WMF​
 in determining the requirements
​and criteria ​
for scholarship applicants
​

​(​
WMF will provide eligibility filtering as well as materials and tools
to the Scholarship Committee members
​. ​
The Committee
will only review applicants after initial eligibility has been  assessed by WMF
​.)​

* Assure that there is due consideration and a speedy response time to
all scholarship applications.
* Must be fluent in written English
​ (or c​
​
an name local community member(s)
 help them with English translations.
​

* Good communication skills.
* Passion, knowledge, and participation in the Wikimedia movement.
* Discretion and ability to handle confidential applicant information,
and objectively assess candidates.
* Evaluation of eligible applicants and delivering ranked list of
potential recipients to WMF (March '17)
* Evaluate the scholarship process afterward and provide feedback
* Prior attendance at previous Wikimania conferences and
​/or ​
 strong knowledge of the cross-project
Wikimedia community are a plus!
* Participation in periodic online meetings with
​committee and WMF staff (You

will be working remotely using review system, email, skype, and IRC.
​)​

​ Estimated amount of time:  30 hrs (mostly in March '17)

If you're interested in serving please send email to eyo...@wikimedia.org

The deadline to apply is December 8.

Projected Timeline for Committee activity:

Mid-December:  Preparations and on-boarding of Scholarship committee

Jan-mid-February:  Promotion of program and submission of applications

End Feb to mid-March:  Review, Evaluation, and Selection of recipients.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions
about the program or what is involved.

Thanks, Ellie

 Ellie Young
Events Manager