Replying to Alex and Lisa (and Rogol) in one message:

Alex, thank you for linking the 32 page public version of the grant to the
Sloan Foundation. It is indeed an impressive quantity of information, and
I'm glad that this kind of transparency was built into the process --
having written grant proposals on behalf of WMF, I'm keenly aware of how
much of an additional challenge that creates, and applaud the team. That
said, it's a lot of info to look over, so if I have any more substantive
comments, it will take a little time.

Lisa, I also appreciate your timely response about restricted grants. It's
good to have a little insight into your thinking, which resonates. I do
hope for more, in time. In the past, I felt all of us associated with
Wikimedia could take legitimate pride in our connection to an organization
that took a leadership role in the thinking on philanthropic giving. (As
you may recall, I wrote up an overview about it last year:
https://wikistrategies.net/grant-transparency/ ) It was especially
distressing to see this issue play a central role in last year's crises, in
the sense that the Knowledge Engine was rooted in a strategy of restricted
grant opacity. I am still hoping the organization will take decisive steps
toward reclaiming its position as a significant thought leader on the topic.

Perhaps the strategic planning process will offer an opportunity to do so?

In general, my questions are strongly aligned with those Rogol Domedonfors
is asking, both in this thread and in the one about historical documents.
Restricted grants can be one of the more visible artifacts that reflect the
large-scale thinking of the organization; it's broadly important to the
movement that the large-scale thinking be visible.

It has not been very long since a broadcast video led by Lila Tretikov and
Jimmy Wales ended with a bit of open mockery of the value of long-term
strategic planning. That was in jest, I understand, but in the absence of a
more serious followup, not a great thing for Wikimedia stakeholders to
hear.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-12-22/News_and_notes
We have a new executive director, new faces on the board, many things are
running very smoothly, and many good things are happening. But we still
lack a foundation for insight into how the rapidly expanding organization
is thinking. Billions of people have a stake in those questions.

If there are no readily-available answers that can be shared, I hope at
least that the strategic planning process will begin to flesh out some of
what has been driving the WMF, and what will drive it in the years to come.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]