I find all this a little disconcerting.

The "Interactive Team" was making significant progress. Maps have been a
great success and prevented a near blow up over at Wikivoyage as they
solved a critical issue just as it was noticed. The new graphing tools were
getting really good (with a bunch of us waiting patiently for them to
become more widely avaliable / easily usable).

From page 39 of our reader survey from 2015 "rich content" such as what
that team was building was second only to "apps and mobile" as the most
desired features. In that survey while "search features" ranked 13th with
about three times as many of our users supporting further work on "rich
content".

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Community_Consultation_on_Strategy%2C_WMF_Metrics_Meeting_July_2015.pdf

Best
James

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 6:41 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Wes,
>
> For future reference, one suggestion that I would make is that
> decision-makers should be available to answer questions at the time that an
> announcement is made. Otherwise their absence can put many people in
> difficult positions (both staff and community) with limited information and
> needing to wait potentially long periods of time before getting definitive
> answers, which can be both frustrating and costly.
>
> I think it was good to put this announcement on the Discovery list; sharing
> it more broadly would have made sense given the impact to others'
> workflows. I realize that we have so many communications channels that it's
> not always clear what scope should be assigned to various communications,
> and would encourage thinking about that in the context of improving WMF
> communication in general.
>
> Pine

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian