Thanks for the question, Tomasz, and for the answer, Dan. :)

That's right - it's built into the form. I'm told it can't be removed.
Candidates based outside the U.S. are very welcome to apply! I'd guess that
the question may be relevant for some folks in the U.S., for instance
international students who do not have a work visa.

Best,

Maggie

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Dan Garry <dga...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 31 January 2017 at 07:08, Tomasz Ganicz <polime...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just simple technical question. In the application form there is one
> tricky
> > question:
> >
> > "Are you legally authorized to work in the United States"
> >
> > I guess vast majority of potential candidates are not legally authorized
> > work in US as they are citizens of countries which need a special
> > work-permit to be legally employed in US.  Does it mean they cannot apply
> > for this position or that WMF is able to organize  a work-permit for such
> > persons?
> >

> The work authorisation question is a standard one included in job postings,
> irrespective of work location. I would assume there are no issues with
> candidates based outside the United States applying, especially since all
> the new positions are advertised as "San Francisco, CA or Remote".
>
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Garry
> Lead Product Manager, Discovery