> Why are proposals to abandon the US being given more consideration than

those to address the underlying issues?

The concern is political stability and the feasibility to react when a
faster more immediate shift is needed than can be achieve through a
lobbying for change pace.  Both should be the approach a plan to exit
partially or entirely from the US is the immediate need as thats seen as
the most prudent method for protection of the WMF and its staff.  There has
also been an under lying concern about the current location and potential
for issues derived from closeness to other Big net corporations, remember
there where issues 12 months ago about a board of trustee member who stood
down. Moving is something people have thought in more detail about, the
travel ban was so fast and impact immediate it highlighted dramatically the
uncertainity ahead for US based activities. Had it occurred during a
conference the impact could have potentially been more significant, if the
WMF wants to attract the best people to work locally this hurts and plans
to protect those people(and their families) are needed.   We also need to
acknowledge that travel bans may cause additional operational costs to the
WMF either in the need to shift face to face meetings, and or to support
employees caught up in unexpected changes.

On 1 February 2017 at 07:11, James Salsman <jsals...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are proposals to abandon the US being given more consideration than
> those to address the underlying issues?
>
> And from those who have been so concerned about the frequency of discussion
> on this topic (amongst dozens of redundant crongradulatory messages which
> have never in a dozen years resulted in any such concerns), is it fair to
> ask how frequent they consider appropriate discussion should be; in
> particular given the perspective here?
>
> https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia