I strongly support Yair Rand's post.

I am intensely interested in political issues, but try to discuss them in
political forums, not Wikipedia discussion threads.

While there will be some occasions (SOPA) where Wikipedia is directly
threatened by political footballs, and must be discussed, we should
endeavor to limit political activism to such issues, and not bring it into
every discussion where it might have a tangential aspect. Not all editors
share the same political persuasion, and allowing political discussions in
these threads (beyond that which is absolutely necessary) has the potential
of tearing apart the community interested in bring the sum of all knowledge
to the world.

Stephen Philbrick (Sphilbrick)