On 02/07/2017 04:36 AM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:

Hoi,
When we learned that one of our own was in a prison in Syria, we could not
care less. A lot of words were spend on expressing how sad it was but no,
we could do nothing about this because this would be "political".

For me it is proof how little we as a community care about our own.

That's still not an argument, it's repeated assertion. I remain unconvinced.

I see 158 "support" votes and 95 "opposes." I don't know how you define "care about our own," but I think the 158 in the majority care prima facie. Of the 95 who opposed, here are just a few quotes which I believe reflect compassion for Bassel:

"Per NoW <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Neutrality_of_Wikipedia> and as someone already raising awareness on the subject /outside of Wikipedia"
"/ I understand the importance and urgency of this issue"
"A banner on Wikipedia will in no way help Bassel in his current situation."
"Bassel has all my sympathy, for seemingly being a like-minded individual, possibly facing death on the hands of a murderous, tyrannical regime."

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Free_Bassel/Banner/Straw_poll

To my eyes, a strong majority care. You disagree, but I still have not seen reasons behind your disagreement.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]