My understanding is that the signficant mention in independent reliable
sources is what is required to write an encyclopaedia article about
something.  Passing mention in reliable sources such as peer-reviewed
academic journals establishes that something exists.  Passing mention in
news sources merely establishes that someone has issued a press release.