Hi Pine,

I know we’ve touched on this in past discussions related to this list.
Staff frequently need on wiki user rights to do their work, which can range
all over the map from Meta admin/translate admin to central notice admin or
Checkuser/Oversight and everything in between. Many of these rights are
sensitive in their nature (for example I could make an argument that
central notice admin and its raw crosswiki javascript capabilities are on
par with Checkuser in some cases), and we work to ensure that users only
have rights they need for the time they need it.

Given that these tools are being used on the public wikis, it is natural
(and expected) that the community keeps an eye out and alerts us to issues,
but in the end the staff needs and requirements for those rights are
different and separate from the community ones and they have to be overseen
by staff. As part of that we ensure they go through a multistep (and
multi-person) process involving reaching out to SuSa with a use case,
seeking written approval from their manager, and then getting approval from
a SuSa Manager (and the Director for especially sensitive user rights).
Given the natural oversight and review we have before hiring staff, along
with the ongoing oversight from both their managers and SuSa, we believe
this strikes the right balance.

James

*James Alexander*
Manager, Trust & Safety