I am glad to hear that WMF global bans are processed through multiple
people. Still, I am deeply uncomfortable with the lack of community
involvement in this process as well as the lack of transparency. In the US
we don't trust professional law enforcement agencies to make decisions
about who should go to jail without giving the accused the right to a trial
by a jury of their peers. Unless we have lost faith in peer governance
(which would be a radical break with open source philosophy) I think it is
both unwise and inappropriate to have "the professionals" make these
decisions behind closed doors and with zero community involvement in the
process.

I am in favor of professionals working on investigations, and in
enforcement of community decisions to ban *after* those decisions have been
made by the community through some meaningful due process. I oppose letting
"the professionals" decide among themselves who should be banned.