Hello everyone,

I'm not one who usually writes on these lists, but since it seems like a good
way to get others opinions (and ince I've already formed my own), I thought it
was a good way to see what others had to say and think.

The mobile team for the iOS app (who are all awesome!)  has recently released
(in beta) a version of the app which incorporates Apple Maps a one of it's main
feature, to find articles nearby.

"The Wikipedia iOS app has released a beta version (5.4.0 1081) which uses
Apple maps as its map data source. This is not an easy decision and has already
sparked some discussion of whether this is acceptable given our project's
values."

These maps are not free (non-libre) and is in my strong opinion against our
values. We only create and publish things which are freely licensed (with fair
use imagery being the only exception, after a board resolution regarding EDP's).

Some reasons why this was done can be read here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/Team/iOS/Maps_service

I was asked if we could use non-free elements as long as we said it was
non-free and you may not be allowed to re-ue it, and I responded with "If we
can't find enough editors for Wikipedia, would it ever be alright if we copied
text from Britannica, as long as we said it was from Britannica, and that
reusers can not use it" i.e. just because we can't make something, doesn't mean
we should use something else (non-free thing) to reach our 'wants', if it
causes us to  loose what is... 'us'.

I'm seeking imput and opinions from you all whether this i allowed or not our
according to values, which states:

"An essential part of the Wikimedia Foundation's mission is encouraging the
development of free-content educational resources that may be created, used,
and reused by the entire human community. We believe that this mission requires
thriving open formats and open standards on the web to allow the creation of
content not subject to restrictions on creation, use, and reuse.

At the creation level, we want to provide the editing community with
freely-licensed tools for participation and collaboration. Our community should
also have the freedom to fork thanks to freely available dumps.

The community will in turn create a body of knowledge which can be distributed
freely throughout the world, viewable or playable by free software tools."