From: Aaron Halfaker <aaron.halfa...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] The Revision Scoring weekly update
To: Application of Artificial Intelligence and other advanced computing
strategies to Wikimedia Projects <a...@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: wikitech-l <wikitec...@lists.wikimedia.org>

Hey folks!

I should really stop calling this a weekly update because it's getting a
bit silly at this point.  :)   But if it were a weekly update, it would
cover the weeks of 42 - 46.

*Highlights:*

   - 3 new models: Finnish Wikipedia (reverted) and Estonian Wikipedia
   (damaging & goodfaith)

   - We estimated and agreed on funding for ORES servers in the next year
   with Operations

   - We published a paper about vandalism detection in Wikidata and a blog
   post about the massive effect of some initiatives on coverage of Women
   Scientists in Wikipedia.

*New development:*

   - We added recall-based threshold metrics to the new draftquality model
   which should help tool devs know what which new page creations to
highlight
   for review[1]

   - We added optional notices for ORES pages which will help us visually
   distinguish our experimental install in WMFlabs from the Prod install (
   ores.wikimedia.org)[2]

   - We added basic language support for Finish (Thanks 4shadoww)[3] and
   deployed a 'reverted' model[4]

   - We lead a discussion in Wikidata about "item quality" that resulted in
   a Wikipedia 1.0 like scale for Wikidata quality[5,6] and designed a
   Wikilabels form to capture the gist of it[7]

   - We enabled the ORES Review Tool on Czech Wikipedia[8]

   - We configured ChangeProp to use our new minified JSON output to save
   bandwidth[9]

   - We extended the Estonian language assets (Thanks Cumbril)[10] and
   deployed the 'damaging' and 'goodfaith' models[11,12]

   - We enabled a testing model for 'goodfaith' on the Beta Cluster to make
   it easier for the Collaboration team to run tests with their new filter
   interface[13]

   - We created a new "precache" endpoint that will allow us to
   de-duplicate configuration with ChangeProp and handle all routing in ORES
   locally[14]

*Resourcing:*

   - We completed a 2 year estimate of ORES resource needs and discussed
   funding (capital expendature) for ORES in the coming fiscal year[15].
This
   will allow us to continue to grow ORES both in number of models and in
   scoring capacity.

*Communications:*

   - Amir improved the KDD paper based on review feedback[16] and got it
   published[17]

   - We published a blob post about our measurements of WikiProject Women
   Scientists[18,19] -- "The Keilana Effect"

   - Thanks to Cumbril's work, the Estonian labeling campaing was
   finished[20]

*Deployments:*

   - In early February, we deployed a new set of translations to Wikilabels
   (specifcally targeting Romanian Wikipedia)[21]

   - In mid-February, we deployed some fixes to ORES documentation and
   response formatting[22]

   - In mid-March, we deployed 3 new scoring models and ORES notices[23]

*Maintenance and robustness:*

   - We fixed a serious issue in the "mwoauth" library that Wikilabels
   depends on[24]

   - We reduced the number of revisions per request that we could receive
   via api.php[25]

   - We investigated a scap issue that broke ORES deployment[26]

   - We fixed a minor issue with JSON minification behavior[27] and
   hard-coding of the location of ORES in the documentation[28]

   - We improved performance of ORES filters on MediaWiki[29]

   - We improved the language describing ORES behavior on
   Special:Contributions[30]

   - We added a notice to the Wikipages that Dexbot maintains about its
   behavior[31]

   - We added notices to ores.wmflabs.org about it's experimental nature[32]

   - We fixed some issues with testing Finnish language assets[33]

   - We fixed some styling issues that resulted from an upgrade of OOJS
   UI[34]

1. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157454 -- Add recall based thresholds
to draftquality model
2. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T150962 -- Add an optional notice to
ORES main and ui pages
3. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158587 -- Add language support for
Finnish
4. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160228 -- Train/test reverted model
for fiwiki
5. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157489 -- [Discuss] item quality in
Wikidata
6. https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Item_quality
7. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155828 -- Design item_quality form
for Wikidata
8. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T151611 -- Enable ORES Review Tool on
Czech Wikipedia
9. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157693 -- Use minified JSON format in
ChangeProp
10. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160193 -- Extend estonian language
assets from Wiki page
11. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159608 -- Train/test
damaging/goodfaith models for etwiki
12. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T130280 -- Deploy edit quality models
for etwiki
13. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160467 -- Enable 'goodfaith' on
testwiki on Beta Cluster
14. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T148714 -- Create generalized
"precache" endpoint for ORES
15. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157222 -- Estimate ORES capex for
FY2017-18
16. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T148443 -- Improve the KDD paper
based on the review
17. https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.03861
18. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160078 -- Blog post about wp10
measurements of Women Scientists
19. https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/03/07/the-keilana-effect/
20. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129702 -- Complete etwiki edit
quality campaign
21. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157580 -- Deploy Romanian
translations for Wiki labels
22. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157842 -- Prod deployment of ORES
23. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160279 -- Deploy ores in prod
(Mid-March)
24. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157858 -- mwoauth is broken
25. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157983 -- Reduce the number of
revisions that can be requested in one batch
26. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157623 -- Investigate failed ORES
deployment
27. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157721 -- Investigate default JSON
minification behavior in production
28. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157723 -- ORES swagger is hard-coded
for wmflabs
29. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152585 -- rcshow=oresreview is slow
30. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158862 -- Fix message in
Special:Contributions
31. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158899 -- Add notice about Dexbot
overwriting manual changes to our tracking table.
32. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159055 -- Add a notice to
ores-wmflabs-deploy about "experimental" nature
33. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160192 -- Fix testing issues in
finnish language assets
34. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T160258 -- Fix minor styling issues
with OOJS-UI in wikilabels