Just noting as an aside that I'd be hesitant for the WMF to accept donated
laptops for redistribution.  I expect that the WMF's own depreciated
laptops can be warranted to be virus- and malware-free; I'd be a bit
concerned from the risk mitigation perspective if they were to start
providing equipment from third parties that the WMF itself hasn't made sure
is safe, and I'm not sure it's the best use of WMF staff time to go through
that verification process.  (Incidentally, I'd have the same concerns about
chapters and other groups.)

I do really like the idea of the WMF and other groups with depreciated,
verified-safe hardware sharing this hardware with other Wikimedians, though
- it's a great idea.  Laptops are the right things to start with; there may
come a time where other electronic equipment  can be shared in a similar
way.

Risker/Anne