Dear Wikimedians,

We are happy to announce that the 2016 Picture of the Year competition is now
open.

Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international
Wikimedia Commons community. From professional animal and plant shots to
breathtaking panoramas and skylines, historically relevant images, images
portraying the world's best architecture, maps created with the most modern
technology, Commons features pictures of all flavors.

For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two
rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many
images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall
will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of
images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the
Picture of the Year.

To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2016 page on Wikimedia Commons:
 https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2016

Round 1 will end 30 March 2017, 23:59:59.

Thanks,
POTY 2016 committee

Note: Users must vote with an account meeting following requirements:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2016/Rules