I'm hoping that one advancement which will help both WMF and the community
will be the Newsletter extension. I'm hoping that will help cut down on the
number of broadcast emails and centralnotice banners.

I'd like to see all WMF notifications for consultations and surveys
scheduled for a single day each month, and have once-monthly reminder for
the same. That should cut down on the deluge of notifications.

Agreed that WMF does a lot of broadcasting, and could spend more time
investing in thoughtful conversations instead of mass-produced surveys and
consultations. I'd like to see monthly IRC office hours for C-levels and
WMF Board members.

I like Peter's idea of surveys including requests for feedback about the
design of the surveys.

On the community end, I think what can be done may be wiki-specific. I'm
most familiar with ENWP's wide range of project talk pages, and there are
so many of them that watching all of them is unrealistic. That's just for a
single project; many of us spread ourselves among multiple projects. When I
wrote the *Signpost *Discussion Report back in the days when the *Signpost *was
often a weekly publication, I made it be a summary of active RfCs in
project-wide topics. If we could automate some kind of aggregation tool for
creating summaries of active discussions and VP posts like was done in the
Discussion Report, I think that would help with increasing efficiency. But
that would be difficult to automate. Government organizations pay staff
members and contractors to do that kind of work. I wouldn't want WMF to be
summarizing community discussions for the community, but if funding can be
found for that kind of communications support and if affiliates are willing
to supervise it, I think that might be helpful.

(As a side note, I think that the *Signpost *and other community
newsletters can be highly valuable, but getting people to volunteer to
write them on a weekly basis is a problem. If I had the money to feel
comfortable doing so and if legal liability issues could be worked out, I'd
personally sponsor some funding for a small number of people to work
on the *Signpost
*-- including the Discussion Report -- as a part-time job.)

Pine