Writing should, indeed, be gender-neutral when the gender is not known. But
when the gender is known, it is possible in MediaWiki software to write
messaging according to the indicated gender.

Note that in the English grammar it is needed relatively rarely in the
first place. It is relevant for few things other than "he" and "she".
Latina/Latino has a gender, but it is the exception rather than the norm.
In many, many other languages, it is needed far more frequently: for "you"
("Are you sure?"), for imperative verbs ("Upload a media file"), for all
past tense verbs ("Jenny thanked you for your edit"), and in other cases.
MediaWiki and Facebook are the only pieces of software I know (there may be
others) that support adding masculine, feminine, and unknown-gender forms.
(In case you wondered, the default is "unknown".)

There are some cases when this software feature cannot be used, but very
frequently it can, and should be used.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬