I support rewriting sentences rather than using "singular they" if it's straightforward enough to do so, as in Gerard's example. But yes, there are people, including myself, who are neither men nor women, and using gendered language like "he or she" leaves us out.

And yes, in English "you" is used to address both an individual and a group, though in the latter case often a clarification such as "you all" is added. We no longer use "thee" and "thou", so language usage does adapt.

- Pax aka Funcrunch