English Wikinews took serious measures for reliability back in 2009.  For
our pains, we've received mostly grief from the Foundation, and from a
vocal segment of the Wikipedian community.  If they consulted, before this
expertise-lending, with the sister project that specializes in
vetting-before-publishing (one of the defining characteristics of news),
I'm not aware of it.  In fairness, Wikipedia might plausibly claim to have
some expertise in dealing with the consequences of /not/ vetting before
publication, and those consequences are legitimately of interest (but I
agree the passage abound lending expertise cries for explanation; there's
irony in talking about propaganda in a piece on the wikimedia blog, which
tbh I consider a Foundation propaganda outlet).