Is it better to think of the problem as paid editing or organized advocacy
for persuasion at the expense of accuracy regarding all costs and benefits?

Burger King is a commercial enterprise which makes money by mass production
of beef products, which require more water and produce more greenhouse gas
per calorie at retail marked-up prices than more frugal and healthy
alternatives, but their Wikipedia-focused PR budget is tiny compared to
producers of other products which similarly do not have a good cost-benefit
ratio in terms of money or productive years of life.

Some of the strongest such abusers of organized advocacy don't spend a lot
of money on Wikipedia editors, but they do promote a narrative that
anti-science types are suppressing information about them because of
Luddite unreasonableness, which causes the many editors who want to defend
science and their poorly-perceived conceptions of modernity to come to
their defense. But, like Burger King, they often sell products which cost
more than their benefits.

Examples beyond beef include: fossil fuels, nuclear power, neonicotinoid
pesticides, and tax cuts for the wealthy. Luckily, lab grown beef is likely
to soon provide suitable replacements for those who want to eat beef
without the environmental, ethical, and some of the health externalities.
But will it go the way of the texturized vegetable protein of the 1970s? I
recently discussed the solution to the fossil fuels problem on this list.
(Sorry I got the name of the King of Saudi Arabia with whom FDR met wrong,
but I highly recommend the "history teachers edit" of the BBC "Bitter Lake"
documentary on YouTube for those who don't want to watch the whole thing.)
Nuclear simply can't compete in the marketplace against renewables.
Advocacy organizations are telling the story about the true costs of
various pesticides, and those are making their way into MEDRS sources.

But I have no idea if Wikipedia is strong enough to overcome the
self-organizing advocacy for greater income inequality, which is a very
serious health issue as per unopposed MEDRS sources, but the fake news
narrative is being pushed:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/04/trump-budget-director-wants-high-inequality-not-low-deficit.html

https://www.gc.cuny.edu/CUNY_GC/media/CUNY-Graduate-Center/PDF/Centers/LIS/Milanovic/papers/Econ_letters.pdf

http://talknicer.com/ehip.pdf (full MEDRS-grade, with no substantial
opposition in other secondary sources.)

My opinion is that when issues like these impact the Mission, including the
extent that we can effectively educate, the Foundation should get involved
and do everything they can to set things right. But are these appropriate
issues for Legal, or Communications?

Would it help if the Communications team did a blog series on solutions
from the last U.S. presidential election prior to 9/11, when Buchanan was
Trump's opponent on the far right, taxes were set to be increased on the
rich by deficit hawks including Trump, and single payer was Trump's
preferred health care plan? Trump has recently signaled a return to his
1999 roots, by demoting Bannon, demanding a superior health care plan
instead of backsliding, and

Yes, these are political issues, but they are about issues which directly
impact the ability to execute the mission, and are only incidentally about
particular candidates. But they are also extremely crucial to restoring our
a civil society from the distopia of the use of state power against the
rights of individuals, and the abuse of the encyclopedia with organized
advocacy for persuasion over accuracy, in persuit of extralegal profits.