Hoi,
This is an interesting avenue. My I suggest one practical side of this?

When you analyse articles and find that some things are missing, it will
help a lot when you can target these articles to the people who are likely
interested. When people interested in soccer learn that a soccer player
died, they are more likely to edit even write an article.

The approach for finding a subject that could do with more attention is one
I applaud. When you want to do this across languages think Wikidata to
define the area of interest for users. It will always include all the
articles in all the languages. As you have seen with the Listeria lists,
showing red links and Wikidata items is trivial.
Thanks,
     Gerard