For a long time, we saw a few chapters with too little or no activity in
the movement and their recognition was kept in spite of it. I saw that and
it bothered me a little but not so much so I didn't say something about it.
Last year, AffCom started to do what it have to be done (better late than
never) and reviewed its affiliates.

I still don't get what happened in the relation between the chapter and
AffCom that didn't go well. Should AffCom have waited more between the
first warnings and the de-recognition? Should have used better words or
offered any other kind of help? Should have waited any ongoing bureaucratic
process to be finished? Clarifying that will be important to the work of
AffCom.

What I am trying to say is that it seems to be a recent experience for both
sides and I believe that everyone that came here with their comments came
in a good stand trying to express themselves to make this a better process.

As I hope WMPH will be back with more activity in a near future, I also
believe that AffCom will pay attention to any possible mistake on their
part, which sounds like something acceptable to occur since those are
recent initiatives. De-recognition is done. What should be done to keep
valuing the volunteer work of WMPH members and help them promoting
Wikimedia?

Teles

Em ter, 25 de abr de 2017 às 13:32, Kirill Lokshin <kirill.loks...@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> User groups are, indeed, a more "light-weight" model of affiliation, with
> significantly fewer compliance requirements -- at least for groups which
> are unincorporated and do not receive significant grants -- and the
> Affiliations Committee has, in the past, encouraged chapters struggling
> with reporting and similar requirements to consider becoming a user group.
>
> Having said that, there are certain issues that can prevent a smooth
> transition from a chapter to a user group.  In particular, any individuals
> considered to have personal responsibility for an outstanding compliance
> issue -- which means, generally speaking, the actual signatories of a
> chapter or grant agreement, but could potentially include every member of
> the governing board in the case of an incorporated affiliate -- are not
> eligible to serve as signatories of a new user group agreement until the
> original compliance issue has been resolved.  This proves to be a challenge
> when a group is small, or when the existing leadership of a group is
> unwilling to step aside during a transition.
>
> Regards,
> Kirill Lokshin
> Chair, Affiliations Committee
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM, James Heilman <jmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Running a "user group" is much less bureaucratic overhead. Can WMPH not
> > just rejoin the movement as that? When the capacity to return to chapter
> > status develops the group can than apply for chapter status.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 5:17 AM, Josh Lim <jamesjoshua...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > First of all, I'm not blaming anyone. I'm merely stating what is our
> > > position: that is, that we've been dealing with our issues to the best
> of
> > > our ability.  That said, I'm sorry, but I will not tolerate being told
> > that
> > > I am "misleading" the movement by telling people what we've done to get
> > > ourselves out of this mess.  I wouldn't dare stake my own reputation on
> > > misleading the movement, and for people to presume otherwise is
> appalling
> > > for a movement that claims to work on a fundamental assumption of good
> > > faith.
> > > It's perfectly fine that we've come to opposing conclusions as to how
> > > compliant we are, but the facts stand that we've worked our butts off
> > > return to compliance.  And we intend to do so.  If the Wikimedia
> > > Foundation's ideal conclusion is that non-compliant affiliates ought to
> > > disband entirely, then what good is the process in the first place if
> the
> > > idea is to help organizations return to compliance?
> > > I'll affirm that we've received a deadline notice.  I confirmed that in
> > my
> > > last e-mail to this list.  The Wikimedia Foundation did give a list of
> > > things that we had to fix to return to compliance.  We ticked off a
> [...]

Steward for Wikimedia Foundation. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
Wikimedia Commons. Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity. +55 (71)
99707 6409