Last time I remember we had a discussion¹ was September 2011 (!):
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2011-September/thread.html

There are several threads worth revisiting:
I was looking for an old-but-great Andrew Lih's post about Wikinews², and I
re-discovered that a project had forkedfrom Wikinews in 2011³: it was
called the http://theopenglobe.org, and (spoiler) it's now dead.

Generally speaking, I think that Jimmy experimenting with another project
speaks volume:
and I do think it's a good idea.

Simply put, we have a lot of zombie projects, and we¹ never had the will to
do the tough decision
of killing them... *or* really investing in them.
At the moment, the actual policy with sister projects (all of them, minus
Wikidata), is
"don't ask don't tell".

The communities do what they can, and what they cannot do they don't.
There is no non-volunteer development, and even no knowledge about sister
projects, both within the WMF and the rest of the movement. Wikipedians
rarely go in sister projects.

I really hope this Strategy process will be seen by the larger community as
the right chance to discuss all this. A lot of strategy statements go into
the direction "collect/provide all written and oral knowledge ever
produced", which is more or less our vision, and this is why we thought to
create non-encyclopedic projects in the first place (a image archive; a
library; a dictionary; a quote compendium; etc.).

It's probably time that we have this conversation.

Aubrey
(your friendly occasional Nemo)
Wikisource Community User Group

<http://theopenglobe.org>
¹ meaning, *we* that live on these mailing lists
² this:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2011-September/068381.html
³
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2011-September/068290.html