From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Alessandro Marchetti
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 13:01
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikitribune!

So we are talking about dead/small projects now? I work on many of them and I
think that what WMF is mainly rationalization. It's not about just turning them
off but merging, interacting or rebranding many times. IMHO. The problem are
both the few user active on them which are proud and they want to loose their
"little space" and the snob attitude of users on big wikipedias. Such a pity,
there is plenty of room for improvement once you go beyond the simplest
black/white scenario. I guess people just need time to think of the platform as
an ecosystem, where really few things needs to be removed, whilst it does
require flexibility to integrate and rethink them. I hope new generation of
users will help us in going that directions. i am still wondering why we don't
have a unified cross-language platform for some of them yet. I don't care if in
2003 or 2004 someone was unable to understand English... we had commons,
wikidata, SUL... seriously talk to newbies and get over it. I am not citing any
platform specifically here, just to avoid long mails defending the status quo.
Let's leave colonel Kurtz in the jungle, he will get tired one day.
But about wikinews for example, I make interviews on itwikinews. Not recently,
but I have a long list of option when i have more time. I link them to the
articles, they looks fine as an integration. Also they are a wonderful way to
establish different connections. So sad noone uses it, because they could. The
news part has low activity, but for example it still attracts new young users.
One of the most motivated young WMI members comes from the "poor" itwikinews.
He's very young yet he organized an event, specifically in an area where
wiki.activities were missing since a decade. Without the freedom of wikinews,
he would have needed much time to get the same level of confidence. I don't
think that itwikipedia users understand these aspects, do they? So can you find
me a replacement for that? And please notice, i am not defending my little
garden here, I just work there sometimes and I see things that are useful to
preserve. Can you do it somehow, while closing it? That's what I need to know.

    Il Mercoledì 26 Aprile 2017 12:16, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> ha
scritto:

 On 26 April 2017 at 09:23, Andrea Zanni <zanni.andre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last time I remember we had a discussion¹ was September 2011 (!):
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2011-September/thre
> ad.html

Everyone interested in Wikified news should read the Wikinews threads in that
page.

That's where the complaint that Wikinews is process-heavy comes from.
But it really isn't process-heavy at all, if you look at the actual process.
The blocker appears to have been insufficient or careless reviewers. (Japan
getting a new Prime Minister apparently not being relevant to Wikinews because
the sources weren't in English.)

You'll also see numbers as to why it looks like a dead project from any
reasonable outside perspective.

- d.