For Wikivoyage in 2012, there were two factors which contributed to the
increase of editing activity:

1) Greater visibility as a WMF project;

2) Moving to a new platform without advertisements (I for one joined it at
the very first day it moved for exactly this reason).

However, concerning the readership, the English Wikivoyage still suffers
because seacrh engines think it is a clone of Wikitravel and do not show
it. Nobody knows what to do with that. Other language editions have less of
this problem.

Cheers
Yaroslav