A distinction that I see between funding the WMF blog from funding the
*Signpost
*is that the former is WMF corporate communications and the latter is
community journalism. It would be difficult to maintain journalistic
integrity and independence at the *Signpost *if its staff feel like their
paychecks (which would probably be similar to what part-time reporters make
at US college newspapers) are in any way dependent on pleasing WMF. (I'm
not saying that the *Signpost *should go out of its way to be critical, but
it should be as independent as realistically possible.)

Pine