> I've been a bit out of the loop on this for a while, so please be kind to
> the oldbie - what's current Wikimedia policy on adaptive reuse of Wikipedia
> content into non-free publications?
>
> E.g. Graphiq
> https://www.graphiq.com/terms-and-conditions
> http://colleges.startclass.com/l/1929/Harvard-University
>
> and Google
> https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/
> https://www.google.com/search?q=harvard+university
>
> I recognize that Google gives Wikimedia a lot of money, even if the
> foundation isn't very transparent about that, but I'd think that doesn't
> free the company from following CC BY-SA.

I think you're bang on one of the main topics of the copyright reform
discussion currently happening in Europe - should people and companies
be allowed to link and/or display a small part of a copyrighted work?
I haven't followed the issue in the last few months, but the latest
proposals from the Commission basically meant no more links or
excerpts (experts: please bear this oversimplification, I know the
wording is not exactly this).

AFAIK our public policy team has the opposite position - that such
reuse should be permitted. Remember, we're also content consumers, not
just content producers, so such legislation would also hit us hard.

If you want to know more about these debates, a good place to start
would be the public policy portal [1]. Also check out the wiki page
[2] and the mailing list [3].

Regards,
  Strainu

[1] https://policy.wikimedia.org/