On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Deborah Tankersley
<dtankers...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The Discovery team structure has now changed, but the new teams will still
> work together to complete the goals as listed in the draft annual plan.[2]
> A summary of their anticipated work, as we finalize these changes, is
> below. We plan on doing a check-in at the end of the calendar year to see
> how our goals are progressing with the new smaller and separated team
> structure.
>
> Here is a list of the various projects under the Discovery umbrella, along
> with the goals that they will be working on:
>
> Search Backend
>
> Improve search capabilities:
>
>    Implement ‘learning to rank’ [3] and other advanced machine learning
>    methodologies
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_to_rank

How will the Foundation's approach to machine learning of search
results ranking guard against overfitting?

For example, if most searches on "rent" do not pertain to "rent
seeking", then how will the machine learning approach to search
results for "rent" guard against never presenting any results on "rent
seeking"?