Hey Lodewijk,

Thanks for the e-mail on this. I'll get back to you after the weekend with
an expansive and complete response but wanted to acknowledge your e-mail
and agree that there is plenty to learn from, plenty that needs discussion
as a community and that we need to find out what our readers are interested
in receiving.

Seddon

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Lodewijk <lodew...@effeietsanders.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Wikimania is well over, and now that everyone is slowly getting home, I'd
> like to touch on a hallway discussion that was going on during Wikimania.
> This was regarding the centralnotice banners advertizing a livestream of
> Katherine's and Christophe's presentation of the draft direction for the
> 2030 strategy.
>
> First a few quick facts:
> The banners were on Fri 11 Aug shown for 1,5 hour in 'emergency mode' on
> all English language projects (including Commons, meta) to all logged in,
> anonimous and mobile visitors. The campaigns can be found here
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:
> CentralNotice&subaction=noticeDetail&notice=WikimaniaLive>,
> here
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:
> CentralNotice&subaction=noticeDetail&notice=WikimaniaLiveLoggedin>and
> here
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:
> CentralNotice&subaction=noticeDetail&notice=WikimaniaLiveMobile>,
> for reference. The text in the banner was "Where will Wikipedia and
> Wikimedia be in 2030? Find out LIVE from Montreal" with a link to a youtube
> page with a stream <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdr2F8aB9y0> .
>
> I was quite taken by surprise with this, and taken aback. Here we were, the
> Wikimedia community telling all these visitors of Wikipedia and other
> projects that we are so important, that we should have them watch a
> presentation of a first draft of a direction of a strategy that still needs
> to be worked out. Not only was the text in the banner a bit misleading (I
> didn't see much crystal bowl gazing - but rather a statement of where we
> would like to go - but soit, I can overlook that), but it feels especially
> pretentious to me. Maybe this is a cultural matter, and in other cultures
> this kind of bragging (which is what it feels like to me) is normal.
>
> I could have understood an advertizement of this and other sessions to our
> logged in community members - that would actually have been a nice way of
> engaging them in an expensive conference that we would like more online
> audience to be part of. But only this session, and then all visitors of
> Wikimedia projects? No, thanks.
>
> Totally separate of the message displayed and whether we want to show it to
> this kind of large audience, I was surprised that this link was pointing to
> Youtube. This goes against our policies on Centralnotice
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Usage_guidelines>, stating:
> "Wikimedia Owned - Banners must link to Wikimedia controlled domains (owned
> either by Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia affiliates or Wikimedia
> Volunteers identified to the Wikimedia Foundation)." I guess there is a
> very remote interpretation possible that the channel is owned by the
> Wikimedia Foundation, and I did not see any indication that Youtube was
> running ads on that particular channel.

> [...]

Seddon

*Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
*Wikimedia Foundation*