Couple of scenarios come to mind:

If this succeeds, and is launched more widely, we might have a lot of
preparation to do, and this might not be obvious to Facebook or even to
us.  Facebook has a huge audience and is currently extremely fertile ground
for fake news.  Diverting some of that audience to fact-checking, and
perhaps fake news arguing, on Wikipedia, has the potential to rapidly grow
our editing population.  This is probably a good thing in the long term
but, if it happens, it could be a big challenge in the short term.
Everything from our safety and support teams to our infrastructure
architecture are not set up to scale with rapid editing growth.  I think
some preparatory brainstorming here could be useful.  Just for context, our
editing population is on the order of hundreds of thousands of people on
any given month.  Facebook's news reading population is in the hundreds of
*millions*.  If even 0.1% of them start chatting on our talk pages we would
double our editing traffic.  Think of the way this affects bots, the job
queue, anti-harassment efforts, etc.

On the other hand, if this "fails" from Facebook's point of view, and it's
rolled back, I would hope we stay engaged with them to learn from the
effort.  And I'm sure the communications department is already thinking of
this, but we should prepare for the potential "Facebook finds Wikipedia too
volatile to check facts" or whatever the press decides to do to bait clicks
that day.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Strainu <strain...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [snip]

It's pretty cool indeed, but might put pressure on smaller communities