The alpha version of the Wikipedia apps now supports offline ZIMs.
With this ability these apps join the efforts to provide Wikipedia to
the more than 4 billion people who do not have reliable Internet.
Figuring out the impact of offline is much harder than that of online.
A good app is important as offline builds off this base.

James

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Nuria Ruiz <nu...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> I note that
>>it's currently impossible to find online mobile app usage statistics
>>on the analytics we pages, dashboard or reportcard, where they last
>>measured 0.0006% of pageviews in 2015:
>
> You have data about app pageviews in several places, the most popular tool
> to see that kind of data has numbers, for example app pageviews
> for en.wikipedia.
>
> The notion of what is an app pageview fluctuates more than what is a web
> pageview, but numbers are quite far away from being less than 1%
>
> https://tools.wmflabs.org/siteviews/?platform=mobile-app&source=pageviews&agent=user&range=latest-20&sites=en.wikipedia.org
>

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 6:44 AM, James Salsman <jsals...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm skeptical that the online mobile apps are a good use of resources,
>> with their very meager usage, especially relative to the several
>> engineers tasked to support them, their questionable accessibility
>> aspects, declining app store ratings, and other issues involving
>> content substitution which have recently come up on this list, not to
>> mention breaking the cross-platform nature of the web. I note that
>> it's currently impossible to find online mobile app usage statistics
>> on the analytics we pages, dashboard or reportcard, where they last
>> measured 0.0006% of pageviews in 2015:
>>
>> https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportUserAgents.htm
>>
>> However, I wholeheartedly support this new offline app project, and
>> hope that it will be the primary focus of the Foundation's app-not-web
>> efforts going forward:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iESP20HGPiE
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/Offline_support
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/Offline_
>> support/V1_User_research
>>
>> Huge thanks to whomever directed this pivot!

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian